Please read this page carefully, as it contains answers to many common questions about IAA’s Professional Training Department and courses.
Where is your school located? International Academy of Astrology (IAA) was started as an Internet school in 1997. There is no actual physical location. The Board of Directors, staff, instructors, and students are international and attend meetings and classes in GoToMeeting audio/visual rooms where everyone interacts as if they were in the same location.
Are your classes online? Yes, all classes are online – live and interactive. Classes meet online weekly via an audio-visual platform (GoToMeeting) with the instructor and fellow classmates. Each class is recorded so that students can download and play back anything they may want to hear again. We offer flexible class scheduling, to the best of our ability, to accommodate students anywhere in the world. If the course times listed do not work for you, contact the Education Department to facilitate a scheduling change.
How often are your courses offered? We offer 3 terms per year. Terms begin in September, January, and April. There is a two-month summer break and a month for the December holiday.
Are there additional books and materials I will need to buy for courses? Yes.
- Most of the Natal Studies Module classes have an e-course book that is required. When you register for those courses where an e-course book is required, the cost of the e-course book will be added at checkout and will be purchased with your course. The e-book will be available to you in Moodle (the platform for all your courses).
- There are additional books and/or materials which are required for specific courses. Most of them can be purchased through the IAA Shopping Area. The purchase of these additional books or materials is each student’s responsibility.
- You will also see books that are suggested reading, posted by your instructor. These books are not required; however, your study will be enhanced if you add this information.
How does the learning process at IAA work? IAA offers a three-part learning process geared toward both the theory of the technique and putting it into practice.
- The student reads the assigned chapters in the course material before coming to class. The instructor then covers the material in the live class room, and students can ask questions at any time. Additionally, students demonstrate their understanding of the week’s topic via chart examples and discussion questions.
- Homework is assigned. The homework is also part of the learning process. Students apply the techniques they’ve learned that week with their own chart and the charts of others that they know.
- The instructor gives feedback on the homework to expand the student’s understanding. This allows the course to be tailored to each individual student’s needs.
Do students acquire grades? Yes. The course grade is broken down as follows and is the same for every class:
1/3 Class Participation and Preparation
1/3 Final Exam
Can I take a term off? Yes, you can take a semester off at any time and still continue with the program. However, if you take more than a year off you may be required to take a re-entrance exam regarding the continuing courses. Also, if there seems to be a gap from your previous studies, we may suggest a review.
What if I have to miss a class meeting? We understand that life isn’t always consistent and from time to time students will have to miss a class. If this happens, you must inform your instructor well before the beginning of your class, so you can receive an excused absence. You will be given the recording of the class, so you will not miss any classroom instruction.
Am I required to purchase books or materials separately? Yes, the reading materials are purchased separately. The cost of the e-course books for the Natal Studies Module is included with your registration. Other required materials for each course are listed on the individual course page below the syllabus. These materials are purchased separately and expected to be obtained before the first class meeting.
Am I required to purchase astrology software? Not initially. We want you to be sure that astrology is something you want to pursue before purchasing software. By NAT-5, you will need to have your own software or astrology app that is capable of producing the chart components mentioned in the syllabi of this and subsequent classes.
Are there credit transfers or certifications accepted from other schools? This will be answered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Education Department with the complete syllabus of the course(s) you’re inquiring about transferring and an official record of your grades from that institution. Include the frequency and type of homework assignments and exams that were given. Your transfer inquiry will be considered by the Education Committee.
I have been studying astrology for a while. Can I skip classes and start at a higher level? Yes, this is possible. You will have to pass examinations for each class you plan to skip. There is a modest fee for each exam. Contact the Education Department to discuss and schedule the examinations.
Are scholarships available? Yes, from time to time, ISAR and AFAN offer scholarships as a member benefit and for students who have completed one year of study. We do not keep track of which organization is offering scholarships, the amount of scholarship money available, or their application deadlines. Please contact the organizations directly for this information.